The bells of St Nicholas include the largest Carillon bell in the UK and the second largest in Europe.
At the time of the 1874 fire, there were eight bells in the tower,
hung for change ringing. Afterward the fire and subsequent restoration
of the building, council, churches and citizens came together to
provide a carillon of 37 fixed bells, played from a large keyboard.
Because of a wrong formula in the bell metal, the bells were scarcely
audible until they were recast and re-hung in 1952. Two years later, 11
bells were added to provide the present total of 48. The carillon found
a place in the Guinness Book of Records in 1994 as the largest
in Great Britain. Its largest bell weighs 4.6 tonnes and is the
only one that can (by motor) be swung.